The Development Director at Valley of the Moon will serve as an essential team member by growing our fundraising and marketing program. The specialist will manage a variety of day-to-day activities including donor recruitment and retention, data entry, preparing donor acknowledgments, and identifying new donors to help fulfill the mission of the Valley of the Moon. The specialist will also manage website updates, email blasts and newsletters, press releases and appearances, and the Moon’s social media presence. S/he will assist the Board President with board preparation, grant writing, grant reporting, major funding asks, and providing excellent customer service to Valley of the Moon supporters. This is a new multi-faceted administrative position with opportunity for creative input and growth.
- Strive to achieve an annual revenue goal of $100K through corporate sponsorship, major gift giving, partnerships, events, endowments, and other revenue generating activities
- Manage current participating partners and recruit new companies, as well as individuals
- Identify and secure high level corporate cash sponsorships as well as in kind donations
- Adhere to established Best Practices, benchmarks and timelines and conduct active community networking and outreach through a minimum of 5 face to face meetings on a weekly basis with donors, volunteers and sponsors
- Develop personalized strategies for all donors and prospects that build, maintain and enhance relations with Valley of the Moon while furthering its mission
- Design, organize, direct, and implement strategy for all coordinated fundraising activities
- Develop evaluation tools, conduct ongoing program evaluation, including hours of service, activities and milestones.
- Create and maintain office organizational systems.
- Help create and edit fundraising and marketing materials and correspondence, including newsletters, brochures, social media content, thank-you letters and appeals.
- Enter and maintain an accurate gift and donor database and run reports to evaluate fundraising successes and identify areas of improvement.
- Assist board with writing grants, tracking grant spending, preparing grant reports, and meeting grant deadlines.
- Develop and monitor annual budget, yearly fundraising calendar, and 3-5-year strategic plan with the Board of Directors.
- Generate a social media/website/marketing calendar.
- Cultivate and manage high level corporate and community volunteers to engage in leadership roles with the Valley of the Moon
- Create acknowledgement letters in a timely fashion and in keeping with national best-practice standards.
- Represent Valley of the Moon at community and media events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation and Knowledge
Candidates must possess essential personal qualifications including, a commitment to the mission and vision of the Valley of the Moon and a passion to provide quality services to all who come to explore this unique storybook land. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 5+ years successful fundraising experience or appropriate transferrable skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Fluency in social media
- Database management experience
- closing high level corporate sponsorships
- community networking and outreach
Other essential qualities
- Quick learner
- High degree of adaptability
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching, and prolonged periods of sitting and using a computer
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, daily access to reliable vehicle
- Half-time hours, may include weekends and evenings.
Valley of the Moon conducts pre-employment screenings for all positions, which includes a background check, verification of credentials, licenses, certifications, and work history. In addition, a check of names and identification documents is conducted on all new employees to ensure they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
Valley of the Moon is an enchanted storybook land and the heart of magic in Tucson, Arizona. This unique area was built by postal worker and visionary artist George Phar Legler in the 1920s to promote kindness, spark the imagination of children and as a metaphysical healing center. It was incorporated as a nonprofit in 1945 and subsequently has been managed by a Board of Directors, now known as The George Phar Legler Society, Inc. Valley of the Moon is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a Tucson Historic Landmark. The Developmental Director will be our first paid position.
Valley of the Moon is an equal opportunity employer, complies with all Federal and Arizona State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Job Type: Half-time; benefits not available
Salary: $25,000.00 per year
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Apply now by submitting a cover letter detailing your interest and suitability, and completed job application to Jenni Sunshine, President, Board of Directors, 2544 E Allen Rd, Tucson AZ 85716. Direct questions to Jenni Sunshine email@example.com.