Valley of the Moon’s 100th birthday in 2023 makes this an exciting time for an experienced, independent fundraising professional. The Development Specialist will be assigned projects related to donor recruitment and retention. The Development Specialist will assist the Board President with board and community presentations, major funding asks, and must provide excellent customer service to Valley of the Moon supporters. This is not a grant writing position. This is a multi-faceted fund-raising position with opportunity for creative input and growth.
• Achieve revenue significantly in excess of wages through corporate sponsorship, major gift giving, endowments, partnerships, events and other revenue generating activities
• Recruit new companies and individuals
• Identify and secure high level corporate cash sponsorships as well as in kind donations
• Adhere to established Best Practices, benchmarks and timelines and conduct active community networking and outreach through face-to-face meetings and remote meetings with donors, sponsors and leads
• Provide excellent customer service to donors in person, in writing, and over the phone
• Design, organize and implement coordinated fundraising activities
• Develop evaluation tools, conduct ongoing program evaluation, including hours of service, activities and milestones
• Update fundraising and marketing collateral materials and correspondence.
• Enter and maintain accurate gift and donor data into the development database (Neon CRM) and run reports to evaluate fundraising successes and identify areas of improvement
• Develop and monitor yearly fundraising calendar with the Board of Directors
• Represent Valley of the Moon at community and media events
• Provide timely communication with Board members and volunteers, using email, text, Slack and telephone
• Perform other duties as assigned
Preparation and Knowledge
Candidates must possess essential personal qualifications including, a commitment to the mission and vision of the Valley of the Moon and a passion to provide quality services to all who come to explore this unique storybook land. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following:
• Bachelor’s degree in business, communications or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
• 5+ years successful fundraising experience in the nonprofit sector
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Fluency in social media
• Database management experience, preferably with Neon CRM
• Experience closing high level corporate sponsorships
• Community networking and outreach experience
• Familiarity with funding historic preservation, theater or children’s events is a plus
Other essential qualities
• Integrity, refrains from the appearance of impropriety
• Quick learner
• Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Ability to organize and prioritize work
• Ability to effectively manage time and work independently with little supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
• Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching, and prolonged periods of sitting and using a computer
• Must have the capacity and ability to do computer work off-site
• Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, daily access to reliable vehicle
• Part-time hours, may include weekends and evenings
Valley of the Moon conducts pre-employment screenings for all positions, which includes a background check, verification of credentials, licenses, certifications, and work history. In addition, a check of names and identification documents is conducted on all new employees to ensure they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
Qualified and Interested Applicant Information
Deadline: Open until filled.
Valley of the Moon is an enchanted storybook land and the heart of magic in Tucson, Arizona. This unique area was built by George Phar Legler in the 1920s for the purpose of promoting kindness and inclusion to all.
Valley of the Moon is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all Federal and Arizona State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. We are serious about inclusion and this has been a stated purpose of our nonprofit since first incorporating in 1945.
Job Type: Part-Time Independent Contractor
Wages: Begin at $25 per hour. It should be noted as an independent contractor, benefits are not included and this is an enhanced wage, designed to compensate for the lack of benefits. Annual bonuses may be used to acknowledge outstanding revenue performance.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Apply now by submitting a cover letter detailing your interest and suitability, and completed job application to Jenni Sunshine, President, Board of Directors, firstname.lastname@example.org.